Monday, May 9, 2011

1980 FLASHBACKS - the IAN CLYDE message

THE IAN  CLYDE LETTER - 1980
                  Ian Clyde - A Canadian Boxer


Introduction: by brian w. zelley

                                                           Brian Zelley

A look back at Canadian Amateur Boxing history and one
of our stars was boxer IAN CLYDE.  he was a Canadian
senior open champion for much of the Seventies, but one
of the most important things that Ian did  took place in 1980
when the Canadian Olympic Boxing Team received the
news that they would not be attending the MOSCOW
OLYMPIC GAMES of 1980.


In 1984, the words of Ian Clyde were posted in the
June 1984 - BC AMATEUR BOXING NEWS with
the following caption:
"Ian Clyde was a member of our 1980 Olympic Team.
This is his message after Canada wthdrew."


THE IAN CLYDE MESSAGE
(re-printing authorized by Ian)


"I am an Athlete.  A Canadian Athlete.  I consider myself a
representative of my Country in the same manner as a Canadian soldier, 
or a Canadian Diplomat.  My privilege is to represent my fellow
countrymen as a member of their Team...an all Canadian Team.


As a Canadian individual, I want to participate in the Olympics
more than anything else in the world.  For years I have sacrificed
pleasures, trained exhaustively, and built my entire existance around
waiting for this precious moment. 


To be denied the completion of my athletic goal for the sake of a
political boycott will be a tremendous sacrifice.  Although this will be
the greatest disappointment of my personal life, I am, nonetheless
prepared to accept it.


As an amateur athlete I have made many sacrifices, but I have also
enjoyed many rewards.  Over the years my country has sponsored me
around the world, enabling me to experience a wealth of memories
that I could never have accomplished alone.


When I enter another country, I do so as a proud representative of
my homeland, its people, and its beliefs.  Our forefathers sacrificed far more 
for the protection of this nation's beliefs than that which is being asked of me.


My personal 'Moments In The Sun' cannot supercede the serious political
stand of our Country.  If we, as a Nation of conviction decide to sever
goodwill, trade and cultural exchanges as a protest, then I, 
as an Athlete supported by this Nation, stand by that decision." 








No comments:

Post a Comment